Monday, November 29, 2010

revised goals

I have always been fascinated by the concept of perception.  What one person sees is not always the same as what another person sees.  I wrote my college essay about how being interested in ornithology and bird watching allowed me to focus on, see, and hear birds everywhere I went, even though nobody else noticed them.  In many ways, I see this as a basic tenet of photography.  In our culture, art is used to decorate and to provoke conversations and greater attention to detail.  When people see a photography, they immediately ask themselves what the photographer wanted to show them.  I want to use my photography to shape my perception of the visual world and to show them what I find.
The human eye is almost always in focus.  When you look at a scenery or landscape, you never consider that your eyes are not taking in the whole scenery at once.  They dart around, focusing almost instantly on whatever you choose to look at.  With a photograph, you get a different sense--because photographs are usually flat, the plain of our focus can envelop the whole image.  How wonderful this is!  If you take a photograph where the plane of focus is not parallel to the light sensor, then you will create an image with which people can experience a new kind of perception.
With my photographs, I want to show people a whole scenery.  People tend to get too hung up on small details.  They zoom in and have a small depth of field in which the subject is all you can see.  I want the whole scene to be the subject.  Each of my images is designed to show you what you might not notice is beautiful as you walk past it in day to day life.  You will be able to view it from a new perspective, with a different plane of focus and a different camera angle so that the experience of viewing these images will be different from what you normally see.  What is the value of capturing images if they are exactly what you see with the naked eye?  My images show the world as it is without any human ocular limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment