Monday, November 1, 2010

 +


=

and 


 +
 =


2sec exposures fixated on something as I pass by it.

 4 sec exposures hanging from my neck in daily life.

3 shots of a toilet in different stages of a flush (hdr):  I am going to do this differently for sure.  I don't think it worked out too well.  Either way, I want to combine several captures of motion...  see my second idea for another shot below.  


other shots I'm considering:
1) large format: double exposure of stars in sky and sunrise so we have points of light in the sky with the sun on the horizon
2) digital: long exposure of a glass container as water is removed from it (perhaps a syphon?) or something like that
i want to capture the reflections off of the surface of the water at different times--will the glass be completely white?  Will it just have swirled colors?
What would happen if I did hdr with shots of the glass at different levels? would we get the reflection on the surface of the water appearing inside of the water?

3) Large Format: I want to take a picture of myself with a long exposure in the style of Abelardo Morrell.  That is, I want to sit outside of a room for 8 hours and capture myself in the image that shows up in a camera obscura on the walls inside a room.  Likelihood that i'll be able to do this this week: low.

4) Digital:  I will take several images of a sun dial (possibly at equivalent exposures) throughout the day so that I get maybe 12, maybe 24 images of what the sundial looks like at different times.  Should I arrange these around a circle like times on a clock?

5 comments:

  1. I really really like the idea of HDR-ing the same shot at different times of day. I think you could try to do this with multiple scenes to add flush it out (no pun intended with the toilet photo...) and see how different types of days change the way hdr looks (i.e. cloudy, rainy etcetc)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your set of 2 sec exposures. It's great that with the same technique/idea behind each you get 4 completely different patterns/shapes/formal statements. The 4 sec exposures don't work as well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the window idea. I just have a couple of questions about it:
    1. Do you plan on keeping the plus and equal signs? (I would not know that the third image in each set was a composite of the first two without it)
    2. WIll you keep multiple sets or just one? (I initially thought that you were portraying the seasons with each set- the first composite looks like winter, and the second like fall...it would be interesting to see what else you could do by keeping multiple sets)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The window idea is awesome. They look really good. The combination of lights and colors in the first one is especially striking. I like the idea of the toilet one. Keep working on this idea.

    The long exposures from everyday don't do much for me. Maybe make your intention more clear? I'm not sure how you would do this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your two second exposures are really effective - they evoke patters one would find in nature - which I find very interesting. I also love the toilet photograph - it reminds me of Duchamp and a f64 photo we looked at (I forget the photographer though - and whether it was f64 or not...). I also think that your window photograph ask really interesting questions about color and the time of day. Do you think if you somehow juxtaposed them in a diptych it would make this connection more clear?

    ReplyDelete