Monday, November 1, 2010

notes on my drafts:

the first six images are composites:
the first 2 add together through hdr to become the third one and the same with the next three.
I am thinking of putting a whole day or parts of a day in one location into an hdr to make an image of the whole day.  What does the collective image of the light of the whole day there look like?

The next two images are long exposures from throughout my day.  I intend to take somewhere around 50 of these from throughout the day (maybe timestamped) and I will put them together like I did there.  I'm thinking the images might have some settings in common in each set.  Maybe I'll do 4 sets of 50 where 1 set has the camera on automatic, the second is like my first set where I do long exposures, but with the camera fixated on something as I pass by it, the third is all set f-stop, and the fourth is all with the same shutter speed... who knows.  Any suggestions?

I haven't really done drafts of my other ideas...

ignore the toilet at the bottom.

2 comments:

  1. Ethan:
    I think the HDR combos of different times of day are great. They remind me of Margitte's painting of night at street level and day in the sky. Here you create a separate and invented sense of light/color which defies time, or reflects a complication of it. Also, the idea of merging pics from a whole day is very nice, reminding me a bit of Meggan's merging of images in her Go_Ogle series. With a bit more intention (what to shoot/when) to give the merged images some sort of coherence, this could work well.

    The other idea of many pictures at the same shutter speed, etc, seems akin to the merging image idea, in that you need to find a way to visually link the series to help the group cohere. As we talked about in class, finding the content to complement the structure is key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethan--
    I think you have a lot of great ideas with a lot of potential. Of the images you have up--I like the ones of the building (hdr) from different times that you combined ( I especially like the first one). I think if you pick one or two you could make them really interesting--in what you end up with. The pictures that you have up next to each other from things that attract your eye through out the day are also a nice idea but I think that you might start to loose some of the context (?) when it gets all white and fuzzy like the bottom two of one them. That kind of made me not want to look at it/think about it but maybe there is a way where you can take the pictures and still have some sense of time without it become too obscure.

    I think that the different times of the day one is interesting as well. Would you do hdr or stitch them together to make it a single shot?

    ReplyDelete